Thursday, October 17, 2019

Pier Reflections - and a good lesson

Pier Reflections, 10 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019
NFS

This little piece is one of my favorites of the year, and maybe it's because of how it came about. I was out painting one morning and had really made a mess of things (BTW - you will never see that one!) At lunchtime, it was obvious that rain was coming, but I was not ready to quit. I hate going home with nothing. Thankfully, my painting buddy was in agreement and we decided to go for it and race the storm. 

Well. Something happens when we have to work fast... have you noticed that? Our creative brains take over and our worry (fear) is released. After all, if it doesn't turn out, it's because of the rain, right? But isn't that just when everything clicks? When we stop overthinking and obsessing? Such a good lesson, and one I've had to learn over and over again!

The end of the story? I finished the painting and got it covered just as the clouds burst. I was soaked to the skin by the time I got everything in the car, but I was happy. :)

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love this, and the lesson. Maybe that's the power of a deadline too. Just go!

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Sharon Graves said...

This is so gorgeous. The reflections are stunning in their simplicity. I always do better when I stop over thinking. Great work. Great lesson.