Sunday, October 27, 2019

Texas Spring (study for commission)

Texas Spring (study), 12 x 16, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019

Back in the spring, I was commissioned to paint a "classic Texas" scene. What did that include? Well, live oaks and bluebonnets of course, but there was also a request for some TEXAS LONGHORNS! If you follow college athletics, especially football, you will have heard of Bevo, our beloved Longhorn mascot at the University of Texas. This painting was to be a gift for my client's husband, who is an alum. I totally "got it"... why it was important, why it had to be. This is Longhorn country and I am a fan, so I happily jumped right in! 

The first thing I did was to find a local ranch where I could study an actual herd, and take pictures from lots of angles. I had a lot of fun on that mission, and this field study became the jumping off point for the commission piece that came later. My next post will be all about the process of a commission, and how this one came together. Please stay tuned! 

___________________________

2020 PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP INFO:

March 30-April 2, 2020 - Wimberley, Texas
April 16-18, 2020 - St. Simons Island, Georgia
May 8-9, 2020 - Austin, Texas

No comments: