Thursday, April 21, 2016

Marsh Birds - Show Tip #27

Marsh Birds, 24 x 24, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016 
Sold in Solo Show, "Chasing Color, Finding Light", Davis Gallery

These magnificent birds of the marsh totally captivate me. Whether in flight, keeping watch, or fishing for dinner, their movements and behaviors are fun to observe. They are such beautiful creatures!!

If you have been following my blog for the last few months, you know that I am just a day away from my big gallery opening! In my Show Tips, I have tried to share what goes into planning and executing an art exhibit; from gathering supplies to scheduling time to marketing the work. All that is left now is to go and have fun, but I do have one more tip about that...

Show Tip # 27 - Tell Your Story!
Opening night of any show is the culmination of much work and personal revelation. It's natural to worry about how to use words to describe what we have already "said" in paint. Here is the thing to remember: no one knows our work better than we do, and it's up to us to be our own best advocates. Be ready to talk about inspiration, process and intention. Be ready to share what went into a piece, breakthrough moments, or even struggles encountered along the way. Opening night is an opportunity to tell our story. Don't be shy and don't hold back... and remember to soak up the love. 


Here are links to other Show Tips:
Tip #4 - Work in Series
Tip #6 - Be Kind to YOU
Tip #8 - Stay Flexible
Tip #11 - Take Notes
Tip #12 - Know when to Quit
Tip #13 - Stay Updated
Tip #15 - Assign Tasks
Tip #16 - Step Back 
Tip #17 - Sign As You Go
Tip #19 - Celebrate Growth
Tip #20 - Varnishing Day(s)
Tip #23 - Get the Word Out
Tip #24 - Stay The Course

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love this painting and this tip, as I am at an opening
tomorrow night, and I might forget that without you.
I hope you can soak up the love coming at you in
huge waves from here in Toronto, Canada.

These tips are really wonderful. (I see a book in the making!)

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Sharon L. Graves said...

Such a beautifully serene piece. I have loved your show tips and I agree, you have a book there. Have fun and many great sales!