Monday, April 4, 2016

Fruit Bearing - Show Tip #22

Fruit Bearing Loquats, 18 x 18, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016
Sold in Solo Show, "Chasing Color, Finding Light", Davis Gallery

These pretty little fruits are Loquats. We have several Loquat trees in our backyard and they produce lots of fruit every spring. I am always attracted to their shapes and often paint them. And yes, you CAN eat them (squirrels love them too). They have several pits and taste a bit like apricots. Yum! 

Show Tip #22 - Deep Six Your Doubts
Somewhere along the line, and often as the big reveal of all my work draws near, a case of the "doubts" sets in. I begin to wonder... What I was thinking? Is any of the work good enough? Why did I think I could paint at all? I've come to expect this stage, but it's never fun. Combatting it requires digging deep for hidden courage reserves and keeping a level head (having a trusted friend or spouse who can talk you in off the ledge is very helpful too). It's all related to the fact that these paintings are very personal expressions, and let's face it, the possibility of rejection is scary. I share this tip not because I have a foolproof solution, but because the feeling is pretty universal. Somehow it helps to know that we ALL feel it at some point. 

Here are links to other Show Tips:
Tip #4 - Work in Series
Tip #6 - Be Kind to YOU
Tip #8 - Stay Flexible
Tip #11 - Take Notes
Tip #12 - Know when to Quit
Tip #13 - Stay Updated
Tip #15 - Assign Tasks
Tip #16 - Step Back
Tip #17 - Sign As You Go
Tip #19 - Celebrate Growth
Tip #20 - Varnishing Day(s)

Painters - join me at this Plein Air Workshop:
April 28-30, Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
Contact Info: Mary Anderson, 912-634-8414

5 comments:

Tracey Mardon said...

Bless your generous soul! And the work is lovely, it will be a wonderful show. Thanks for all the tips Laurel. I'd comment more often but don't want to take you away from the easel! Xo

Tracey Mardon said...

Bless your generous soul! And the work is lovely, it will be a wonderful show. Thanks for all the tips Laurel. I'd comment more often but don't want to take you away from the easel! Xo

Helen J Gauperaa said...

I haven't commented on your blog before but this post was just so wonderful - I love the shapes and shadows, the counterchange in the leaves.
I also went through your course in painting and plein air painting on paintoutside.com which I thought were excellent - I noticed a change in how I painted as a result.
So good luck, think positive and enjoy the fruits :)

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you Tracey and Helen!!!

Helen, so glad you enjoyed the coursed on Paintoutside.com - YAY!!!! That's what I love to hear!

Barbara Muir said...

Love the painting, and I'm amazed that you ever feel this way. Talking yourself off the edge is a critical skill.

Thanks for sharing this whole feeling with us. It
is super helpful to know that we are not alone.

XOXOXOXOXOXO