Monday, February 22, 2016

River Wanderings - Show Tip #10

River Wanderings, 24 x 36, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016
Sold in Solo Show, "Chasing Color, Finding Light", Davis Gallery

Finding remote places to paint is one of my favorite things to do. This painting is a larger version of a plein air piece I did last summer on the Georgia coast. This time I included more of the scene and sky, and I loved revisiting that special place! :)

Show Tip #10 - Fight through Fears
Today I stepped up to the easel to start a new painting and was struck with fear. This happens to most of us every now and then, because the blank canvas (or getting started on any new project) can be daunting. But what to do? Here are a few tricks I use for fighting through that fear: pull out a sketchbook and start with a drawing, tone the canvas and get rid of the white-ness, use a big brush and focus on big shapes, review my process and simply take one step at a time, OR a combination of the above. Today, my answer was to tone the canvas... and dirtying up the canvas made all the difference! 

Here are links to other Show Tips:
Tip #4 - Work in Series
Tip #6 - Be Kind to YOU
Tip #8 - Stay Flexible

Painters - join me at this Plein Air Workshop:
April 28-30, Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
Contact Info: Mary Anderson, 912-634-8414

1 comment:

Sharon L. Graves said...

Fighting through the fear is critical and I doubt the general public gets that. I'm always amazed when accomplished artists such as yourself have that same issue. Love this painting.