Thursday, March 2, 2023

Brogen's at the Pier - Fix It Friday!

Brogen's at the Pier, 10 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2023
NFS

Brogen's is a favorite bar and hamburger joint in the village on St. Simons Island, GA. The food is delish and it's right on the water. When I painted it en plein air, the waitress brought out some onion rings for a little work break. How nice was that? 

Well, the painting had a few problems that needed addressing!:) Here is the "before" image...

BEFORE

AFTER

Problem - Alley way lacked shadow and failed to recede. 
The scene was flat and one-dimensional. 
Fix - Darkened the value on the pink wall leading into the alley.
Fix - Popped highlights on front of Brogen's decks and awnings. 

Problem - Palm tree, ground, and building were blending together. (More flatness!)
Fix - Changed the color of the palm's trunk to differentiate it from the building.
Fix - Lightened ground plane in front of door.


OBSERVATIONS
I had a hard time seeing the true value of that pink wall when I was in the field. It was in shadow, but I painted it like it was in the light. Even very light colors appear dark when they are in shadow. The only way to observe the value correctly is by squinting way down. And I will admit it, I kind of loved the idea of that funky pink wall. But in the end, I had to mute it out altogether! It just wasn't working! 

Fun side note: My niece is having one of her wedding events at Brogen's in the fall, so this piece will go to the sweet newlyweds! 


2023 SPRING WORKSHOPS (click HERE and join me):
April 14-15 - The Contemporary Austin Art School in Austin, TX (Full with wait list)
May 4-6 - Anderson Fine Art Gallery in St. Simons Island, GA


2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful,

I like both the before and after. I am your total fan!

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Laurel Daniel said...

Oh, YOU! I am YOUR total fan! Thank you! OXOXO