Thursday, February 23, 2023

Saturday Schemes - Figures on Friday!

Saturday Schemes, 6 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2023
Click to purchase - $150 + $15 s/h

I happened upon these two young guys down at Lost Creek in Austin (I mean, isn't that name just fuel for the imagination?) I was painting further up the creek while they had taken up this spot under the bridge... clearly making plans for their afternoon. Oh, the joy of that fabulous young freedom! "The world is our oyster", "we can do anything"... those feelings were so evident and compelling. I took a quick snap on my phone and kept going. Plans like these are not to be disturbed! ;)

Here is how the piece started out...
Block-In

Finished piece

Since the background was so dark, I toned the canvas to bring the value to a more workable starting point. Also, you can see where I had to make some corrections in my drawing. I originally made the torsos too short. Note to self: Check and double check dimensions after the block in, and make adjustments before moving forward. 

2023 SPRING WORKSHOPS (click HERE for info and registration):
April 14-15 - The Contemporary Austin Art School in Austin, TX (Wait list only)
May 4-6 - Anderson Fine Art Gallery in St. Simons Island, GA

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful Laurel,

I love this.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Barbara!!! LOVE to you! XOXOXO