Thursday, June 18, 2020

Leaning Tree - Fix It Friday #16

Leaning Tree, 9 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2020

It was a hot, hot day on the Georgia coast. The light was drenching this tree, adding sparkle to its already dramatic pose. To paint it, I found the only shade around, but it was too close to the subject (no umbrella that day.) I could not see my whole subject without scanning it with my head. TOTAL mistake. I "thought" I could pull it off, and I knew better... but no. The brain can not put the parts together very easily (at least my brain can't).

If you have taken a class with me, you know how bossy I am about this. I pester my students to 1) be in the shade, and 2) be far enough away to see the subject with one glance. Why do I pester? Because I care... :)  

BEFORE

AFTER

CHANGES:
Problem 1 - The tree ended up looking dissected and flat.
Fix - Added the foreground side of tree canopy, giving it volume. 

Problem 2 - The tree looked emaciated.
Fix - Gave the tree its full summer foliage and added the drenching light. 

Problem 3 - Background tidal creek sat "on top" of the marsh as if at high tide. 
(Note: the tide came in as I was painting and that creek did appear... the problem was that I had already painted the rest of the scene at a lower tide level.)
Fix - Removed the distant tidal creek. 

OBSERVATIONS:
I struggled with not being able to "see" my subject. I struggled with not anticipating nature's changes. In fact, I did much better working from my memory on my fixes than I did from my obstructed view. Analyzing visual information is a very important part of direct painting. When that ability is blocked, it's a hard challenge to overcome. 

Huh! Just as with most things in life, it turns out we do better when we understand the "Big Picture". I'm keeping that in mind. 

________________________
Click Here to see Fix it Friday #12
Click Here to see Fix it Friday #13

4 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The fixed version looks great! Love hearing how you talk to your students!

Barbara Muir said...

Love this painting, and the discussion as always. Now when I paint, I think of you.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Penny and Barbara! your wonderful encouragement buoys me up! :) And the discussion is never ending, isn't it? XOXOXO

Alarico Adalbert said...

“I could not have closed on my first home without Mr, Benjamin Lee ! Benjamin and his team went above and beyond for me on this transaction. He handled my very tight turn around time with ease and was always available for me when I had questions (and I had plenty), even when he was away from the office, which I greatly appreciated! He and his team handled many last-minute scrambles with the seller and worked tirelessly to make sure that I could close before my lease (and my down payment assistance, for that matter) expired. Mr Benjamin is incredibly knowledgeable Loan Officer, courteous, and patient. I went through a couple offers on properties before my final purchase and Benjamin was there to help with each one, often coordinating with my agent behind the scenes. I felt supported throughout the entire process. Thanks to Benjamin and the tireless efforts of his team, I am now a proud home owner! I would encourage you to consider Benjamin Briel Lee for any kind of loan.Mr, Benjamin Lee Contact informaions.via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740  Email- 247officedept@gmail.com.