Monday, June 15, 2020

Lion Planter (study)

Lion Planter (study), 8 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel
SOLD

This lion fountain at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel completely captured my imagination... They just don't make things with such care and detail any more! Here's what I found out about the meaning of lions in architecture... they depict nobility, power, valor, bravery and prosperity... well, no wonder they wanted this guy!!! Now the fountain is a planter full of beautifully delicate geraniums, and the lion is still there, keeping watch as his garden grows. 

This is a study for a larger painting finished this week... I loved the lion so much, I had to do him again! Sometimes that happens! ;)

2 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I have a lion fountain in my backyard. Your painting is lovely.

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Penny!! And LUCKY YOU!!! How fun to have a lion fountain in your yard! :)