Saturday, January 31, 2015

30 Day Challenge Collage and lessons learned...


30 Day Challenge at a Glance
L. Daniel © 2015

On January 1st, I took on a challenge to paint (and post) 30 paintings in 30 days. This goal appealed to me on several levels. I knew it would produce enormous growth and jumpstart my year. But more importantly, I knew it would keep me painting as we began a fairly large home renovation; and that it would help me establish habits that would keep me painting throughout the whole process. 

Well... it worked! The 30 day commitment helped me figure out how to paint through the demolition, piles of debris, and constant interruptions. Even though my house is torn up, I am happy - in that peaceful, joy-filled way. A painter just NEEDS to paint.

Choosing still life subjects allowed me to stay in one genre and to paint from life every day. It was great practice in selecting, composing, and mixing color. But that being said, my biggest lessons from this challenge are not about technique or mechanics, but are basic reminders for nurturing a creative life...

MY TOP 10 TAKE-AWAYS FROM 30 DAYS OF PAINTING:
1) Showing up is everything.
2) Discipline leads to inspiration.
3) Observation is the best teacher.
4) Work begets more work.
5) Subjects present themselves.
6) Regularity enhances the "flow".
7) Frequency supplants fear.
8) Practice produces mastery.
9) Mastery brings satisfaction.
10) Creative habits result in art making.

It was a wonderful month... thank you Leslie Saeta for throwing down the gauntlet!
Click HERE to see larger versions of each post on my blog.

12 comments:

Cindy McDonough said...

Your work is so fresh and lively, I just love your brushwork. That is something I am trying to work on right now! And great top 10 take-aways...I need to copy that and tape it above my easel!

Unknown said...

Laurel, I have been enjoying your paintings here and at DPW. You have a lovely sensitive feel. Good luck with the reno and keep up with the painting!
janet L

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

YOU have a GREAT style! Kudos to you = )

Nancy Colella said...

Congratulations! Job well done! And thank you for sharing your take away's....very inspirational!

Marcela Strasdas said...

Coongratulations Laurel! I have enjoyed seeing your work everyday! Good luck with the renos and hope you can keep going :)

Laurel Daniel said...

Thanks, all! I really, really appreciate your support and encouragement. This challenge was fabulous.

silentwitness said...

Laurel, I love your work and have so enjoyed seeing your " 30-day challenge" paintings. They are awesome, the collage/grid is outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing your insights from accomplishing the challenge. My hat is off to you both for "showing up" everyday despite the intrusions of the renovation, AND for being able to focus WELL to produce stellar paintings each and every day!!!!

Jacklyn Karabaich said...

I am ALSO going to copy your tips and post them in several places! Thank You and Love Your Work!

Barbara Muir said...

Thank you Laurel,

for a month of visual treats, and for the inspiration you always provide.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

yvonne said...

Loved watching your 30 days of work but your take aways are so valuable to any artist. I am going to post them on my wall. thanks for sharing your wonderful work and thoughts.

Sharon L. Graves said...

beautiful collage and love that it goes with the look of your blog. Beautiful work and I enjoyed your 10 takeaways.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Laurel, I was missing you so I thought I would come on over and check on you! Your paintings are beautiful, I especially like the 30 paintings in 30 days. And thank you for summing up the lessons you learned from that experience. Such good lessons and so beautifully written.
Joan