Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Blooming Hydrangeas and Spring Workshop Info

Blooming Hydrangeas, 24 x 48, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2020
Commission for Private Collection - SOLD

"Blooming Hydrangeas" is another commission piece I recently completed. My client had admired some other hydrangea paintings of mine (as you know, they are a favorite subject for me), but she wanted something very specific for her newly redone bedroom. It was such fun working with her, and coming up with that perfect certain "je ne sais quoi". I love it when collaborations take me in inspiring directions. This was a fun one. 

Painting large from a proportionally smaller still life. This is NOT a "sight size" situation (if you know the sight size method)! It REALLY helps to do a smaller sketch first, for placement and composition, and for overall management of the painting.

The small graphite sketch I worked from... foundational to the painting.

The painting, framed and "in situ"! Kind of makes you want to do a room makeover, doesn't it? 

___________________________

2020 SPRING PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP INFO:

March 30-April 2, 2020 - Wimberley, Texas
April 16-18, 2020 - St. Simons Island, Georgia
May 8-9, 2020 - Austin, Texas (full with wait list)


4 comments:

Sharon L. Graves said...

Such a beautifully peaceful painting. Perfect for a bedroom.

Teri said...

Really really gorgeous Laurel!! My kids live in Austin, so when we are there (in April) I am going to find your gallery and take a look!

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Sharon and Teri! And Teri, I hope your trip is still "on" with this shutdown. Stay well!

Teri said...

I just left a comment about the fix-it paintings - didn't see that you wrote ... sorry for the duplication about coming to Austin. Our trip in April is probably off (haven't canceled plane ticket just yet). Stay safe.