Sunday, March 13, 2016

Spring Laurel Branches - Show Tip #17

Spring Laurel Branches, 24 x 30, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016
SOLD

In Texas, we know that spring is on the way when the Mountain Laurels bloom, and this year they are abundant. We have lots of them in our yard, so these branches didn't travel far to sit in my studio for a painting session or two. Their waxy green leaves and lush purple blossoms are fun to paint, and their delicious aroma filled the whole house. They kind of smell like grape jelly, but in flower form. Yum.

Show Tip #17 - Sign As You Go

For some reason, signing paintings can be an obstacle. Plein air pieces are quick and easy because I scratch my signature in while it's still wet. But with larger canvases, I like to sign them with paint. Years ago, I would wait till I had a bunch of pieces finished and sign them all at once. But then I would be backed into a corner, waiting for the signatures to dry. This delayed photographing, framing, and getting the work out there. Now I sign them as soon as the paint is tacky enough to take another layer. I use a liner brush, and mix a tone just slightly darker or lighter than the passage where I plan to put the signature. Then I take a deep breath, just do it, and I don't mess with it. (If you share this phobia, try practicing your name over and over on an old painting. It helps.)


Here are links to other Show Tips:
Tip #4 - Work in Series
Tip #6 - Be Kind to YOU
Tip #8 - Stay Flexible
Tip #11 - Take Notes
Tip #12 - Know when to Quit
Tip #13 - Stay Updated
Tip #15 - Assign Tasks
Tip #16 - Step Back

Painters - join me at this Plein Air Workshop:
April 28-30, Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
Contact Info: Mary Anderson, 912-634-8414

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NICE work and POST!!!!!!!!

Sharon L. Graves said...

Love the soothing softness of this.