Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rocky Creek Light

Rocky Creek Light, 9 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012

Back down at one of our local creeks, I found this partially submerged rock with a beam of light on it. I was drawn to the contrast between the rock above water and the rock below water. It was a fabulous - and tricky - little study. I think I'd like to do a few more of this kind of subject. Hmmm... maybe when I get back from Wisconsin (leaving tomorrow!)

In other news, this was an extra fun day because I got to paint with my good friend Julie Davis and a blog friend David Boyd from Georgia. He was driving through town on a cross country painting trip. It was such a pleasure to meet him in person - and painting together was an added bonus!

Me, David, and Julie

5 comments:

maalari ja piirtäjä said...

Terveisiä Suomesta, olet maalannut fantastisen hienoja teoksia.
Hyvää kesää

Unknown said...

I guess those rocks weren't too tricky for you, the underwater effects you achieved are excellent.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I can NOT believe I am posting before Kathy C.! I had to get up reaaaaally early in the morning to do so :) Well, I woke up to a pink world, sky and water, at 5 a.m., so...

I LOVE the partially submerged rock - so hard to do and you nailed it, Laurel! Lucky you to paint with Julie and have David stop by - how fun is that?

Great little piece, and I know you'll come up with more of this half-sunlit/half submerged subject!

julie davis said...

It turned out to be a beautiful little study, Laurel. It was such a treat to get out and paint with you and David in the midst of this busy summer! Best of luck this week at Door County!

David Boyd, Jr said...

i loved your city! i really appreciate the hospitality and the time you guys took to "take me out!" austin seems like soooo long ago and please let me know if i can ever return the favor... btw, sweet painting! while there i also met gary martin of martin signs and todd sanders of roadhouse relics. where else could i go to get my fill of plain air painting and vintage neon sign work! only in austin...