Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Reeds in the Lagoon - Plein Air Demo



Reeds in the Lagoon, L. Daniel, 8 x 8, SOLD 
Plein Air Demo

Today my fall plein air class started and we met up down by the lake to paint reeds and reflections and little yellow flowers. It was a beautiful, cool, sunshiny morning - a truly perfect fall day. I promised my students that I would post my demo from class step by step, so here you all are!

I began by blocking-in the large masses of my composition 
using a mix of French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna.
(The stain in the background is just leftover from a wipe-off.)

Next, I painted the darkest darks of the upright planes in foreground and background 
(keeping atmospheric perspective in mind to create a sense of air and depth.)

Then I painted the flower blooms (treating them as large masses) 
and saturated greens in the foreground foliage.

Working to get the canvas covered, I put in the muted tones of the reflections on the water.
I am always comparing value, chroma, and temperature of each component to the next,
because all color and value is relative to whatever is beside or around it. 

Once the values and color of the whole scene were working 
I added the sunlit tips of the reeds and broke up the masses with subtle value shifts.
At the very end, I added the final highlights (very important not to rush this final step.)

15 comments:

Tracey Mardon said...

I love it when you do these step by steps, makes me feel like I was there!And that is such a beautiful place. Thanks Laurel!

Valérie Pirlot said...

Thank you very much for taking the time to post all the steps - it was very useful and you colour temperature and values are spot on. I also like how you suggested the water.

John Farnsworth said...

Excellent demo, Laurel. Lucky students!

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautiful painting Laurel. I just love how the reeds are so 3D and you have wonderful atmospheric perspective. Also love how the water is just perfect in color and plane. Thanks for sharing your demo. It teaches all of us to be patient and work our way through the painting in stages and that will pay off in a much more beautiful piece of artwork. You can paint and teach- lucky students:)

Rebecca Malone said...

this is a beautiful painting -- thank you so much for sharing your process

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Wow - love it!! Wish I were out painting with you. Enjoy the fab weather! Assume someone bought already. :)

Pam Holnback said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the little mini-lessin.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Beautiful and I love the step by step 'lesson'.

Anonymous said...

Laurel...a lovely piece and a treat to see your process. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Klock said...

Love your painting and demo. thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Ruth Andre said...

Wonderful painting and thank-you for the demo.

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Beautiful Painting! Thanks so miuch for sharing your process!

Brad Miedema said...

Absolutely Love it!

Marian Fortunati said...

Oh wow... I loved seeing how you created this wonderful little painting, Laurel... So well done!!

David Forks said...

Very Nice piece.... Has great depth and that elusive emotional connection between subject and paint.