Thursday, August 8, 2019

Nature's Patterns

Nature's Patterns, 24 x 24, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2019
SOLD

This is another piece in the group show, Circadian Buzz. I know the word circadian typically refers to 24 hour cycles, but all of nature's cycles have an affect on us. With this painting, I chose to celebrate the longer, seasonal cycle of spring awakening. When our loquat trees burst forth with fruit each April, it's always new. I am transfixed by their color and fragrance, and must paint them. Something about the giant leaves and clustered golden orbs is endlessly compelling. I particularly loved the challenge of this unusual angle... separating the light on the tree limb from the dappled light on the ground was tricky! 


This piece is on display through August 31...
Circadian Buzz, Davis Gallery Group Show, Austin, TX

The small pieces below allowed me to study different angles before painting the big one. They are also in the show... of course, I wanted to paint all of them larger, but I had to choose! 

Dangled, 8x8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019

Dappled, 8 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019

Bunched, 8 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019

3 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Gorgeous. I don't know that fruit, and don't think I've ever seen it. These are beautiful!

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Marilyn Flanegan said...

It's striking how you capture the light, Laurel. I need to get to the Davis Gallery to see this show! love, Marilyn

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you Barbara and Marilyn!!!! (And Marilyn, the show is up until the end of August! Hope you can go!)
XOXO