Monday, February 27, 2012

Desert Ocotillo - Big Bend

Desert Ocotillo, L. Daniel, 9x12

I just returned from a fabulous painting trip in Big Bend (Southwest Texas) with my painting buddy Julie Davis and a bunch of other great folks from the Outdoor Painters Society. It's about an 8 hour drive, but so worth it to see the diverse and distinct desert/mountain landscape. The first morning we stopped to paint on the side of a desert road to just get acclimated to the colors and shapes. These ocotillo plants are everywhere. In a couple of weeks they will bloom with red flowers... we were just a little too early.

2 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

LOVE those gorgeous colors in the grasses! Oh, so much fun to be out in the sunshine painting with friends!

And thank you for telling me where Big Bend is... I remember reading about it in school, but blanked out as to exactly WHERE it was!

Tracey Mardon said...

What a great way to celebrate! You've given me another place to put on my list. The grasses are beautiful and you probably wouldn't have seen them with the red flowers out!