Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hay Rolls


Hay Rolls, L. Daniel, 6 x 6, SOLD

Sometimes when I am about to tackle a large piece I don't feel quite ready. Maybe I haven't painted for a few days and feel rusty, or maybe the canvas seems just too white... Whatever the problem is, it really helps me to pull out a small canvas to "warm up" on. This is one of those. Larger painting coming tomorrow.
See more Small Works
.
Personal side note: I just returned from New York City where I was able to visit the Matisse exhibit at the MoMA and the Picasso exhibit at the Met. It amazed me to see how often both of these great artists returned to certain imagery and how they reworked specific pieces over and over. They seemed to have an unquenchable focus on the journey, or the "search" if you will. I was so inspired by the evidence of their committed, focussed practice.

7 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Your colors are so inviting! I love the palette you work with. Warm up? I don't think you really needed to. Can't wait to see the large one...

Patricia Siegel said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait for the larger piece!

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful! As always, your colors are amazing - this one really sings!

Marilyn Flanegan said...

So very tranquil. What a lovely painting Laurel.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the colors. Can't wait to see the large piece!

Victor Errington said...

Laurel, one word, brilliant. well done and all the best.
Vic.

David Westerfield said...

I know what you mean about needing just to do something small to get you going. This is well done.