Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First Light

First Light (study), L. Daniel, 6 x 8, study SOLD

Back in Georgia, I was able to spend many early mornings on the beach. Mostly, I just walked and observed because the light moved quickly and became too bright to paint. These first colors of the day are so delicious though, and I find myself still thinking about them back in the studio.

See more Small Works


After completing the small study, I painted this larger piece below to send off to my gallery. Beyond size, I didn't change much in the second one except to "push" more purples and periwinkles in the shadows. They are pretty similar, but I think the larger one vibrates a little more.


First Light, L. Daniel, 12 x 16

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wonderful. Captured that morning light and really like the color push in the larger piece.

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Both are just delicious!!! Love 'em. Gorgeous light that you so beautifully captured.

Linda Popple said...

Both paintings are just lovely! I like the colors that you pushed in the studio version. The light is soft - a beautiful beginning of the day.

SYLVIANE said...

Marvellous composition, and of course, so beautiful colors...

Stephen Parker said...

Wow, these are wonderful, Laurel. The colors are fabulous in both, but I'm especially fond of the sky color in the study.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Whiteman said...

What a lovely sense of peace and calm you have captured here.

Susan Roux said...

Beautifully done. Such sensitivity in your colors. I especially love the shade in the dunes... It sweeps me away.

Your little one could easily stand as a painting too. Its so fresh and spontaneous. Love them both.

Caroline Simmill said...

Lovely beach painting Laurel, the colours are full of the sunshine of the day.

Marian Fortunati said...

You're right.. the colors of the shadows somehow seem more beautiful. Interesting to see them both.
Do you have a different audience for each size??

Laurel Daniel said...

Thanks All!! In answer to Marian's question: My galleries carry paintings in the larger sizes - everything 9x12 and up. I offer my small work (5x7,6x6,6x8, 8x8) exclusively through this blog site for my followers and online viewers to purchase at a relatively affordable cost.

Daniel Fishback Fine Art LLC said...

Love them. Great composition and color - so warm and rich. Great works!!

Steve PP said...

I love this study Laurel! Absolutely fantastic!
Thanks for sharing!

Lorraine Shirkus said...

I love the ethereal ambiance you capture in all of your paintings. You truly know how to "see." So beautiful!