Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grapetown Barn

Grapetown Barn, 8 x 6, SOLD

Normally, I work from small outdoor studies to paint larger work in the studio. This one was just the opposite. For this small piece, I cropped way in on a larger plein air composition that included too many elements and lacked overall focus. It is so important for us painters to keep asking ourselves, "what is this painting about?" This barn was the story, and I should have gone straight for it the first time. :)
.
See more Small Works

4 comments:

julie davis said...

This one is just as beautiful here as it was in person. I love the barn and the way you cropped in from the larger painting.

Double "D" said...

Nice crop, not sure what it was before but this is beautiful. By the way thanks for stoppiing by my blog and taking a look. Always nice to have someone new coming by. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Again, beautiful paintings Laurel.

Tracey Mardon said...

Hi Laurel, I found your blog through Julie Davis' blog and really appreciate your timely comment today. I'm starting a farm scene in the next few days and would have been tempted to cram in the house and barn and all. Beautiful scene!

Marian Fortunati said...

A lesson for all of us to remember.
Great job as always.