Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Large Painting with Small Study

Afternoon Glow, 30 x 30
. Study for "Afternoon Glow", 12 x 12 (originally posted 8/23)

This is another large painting based on a plein air study. I painted the smaller one on location on St. Simons Island, GA and then worked from that to paint the large piece. I had several people tell me they would be interested in seeing the the two together, so here you are. In this case, I followed the composition and color pretty closely. This process of starting small allows me to gather information on my travels for larger work back in the studio.

5 comments:

Rawson said...

I love this one

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Laurel, thank you for posting both of these paintings, I was one of the people that was interested in seeing both the study and the finished painting. Both are beautiful and it's so interesting to see them together. It's interesting to see the things that are the same and also what's just a little different, or rather MORE, since your studio piece was so much larger. Your waterlilies are also lovely.
Joan

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laurel,

I am so blown away by your brave
use of colour. Everything about
this one is lovely, the trees, the
soft green, and the peach sky and water.

Dazzling.

Barbara

Liza Hirst said...

Hi Laurel,
I just discovered your work through Barbara's blog and LOVE it!
Beautiful landscapes, beautifully painted - so good!

Theresa Rankin said...

Beautiful transition from study to studio work! You have kept that fresh en plein air feel in the larger work and the colors are glorious!