Friday, June 22, 2012

River Dock

River Dock, 8 x 16, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012

It might make sense to reiterate that I just returned from a long painting trip to St. Simons Island on the coast of Georgia. (A few people have asked, "now where are you again?") I was unable to keep photographing and posting while there, but I am now home and finally able to share it all with you. Though I hated falling behind, it's fun for me to revisit these painting moments as I write. 


This is old dock sits on the river that separates the barrier island of St. Simons from the mainland. I loved the slanted shadows from the morning light, and the simple silhouetted shapes that cast them. I was painting and just contemplating the sheer poetry of it all... when suddenly a bird in the branches above me deposited a little gift onto my palette. Hmmmm... it's always something. :)

4 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

BEautiful subject, painted well! And I love the story about the bird.... ahhh, it happens, right?

ashok said...

lovely work!

Barbara Muir said...

Luckily you have the gift that matters Laurel, this is magnificent.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOBarbara

Virginia Floyd said...

Lovely painting. I like the muted skies with a touch of yellow in the clouds. And your greens are a lesson in themselves--the grayed greens in the distance, the lighter greens of the middle tree as the sun come through it. Love the shadows, too.