Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Marsh Dance Study and some news

Marsh Dance Study, 12 x 16, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012

I wanted to paint this row of trees for so long, but could never find a good place to actually DO it. It's next to a causeway so I usually see it (with an aching heart) from the window of a car. Amazingly (after much searching and a few questionable driving maneuvers) my friend Alyson and I found access to the perfect view. On cue, the tide came in and filled up the marshland with dazzle and sparkle. It was so worth the hunt!

News: PLEASE TUNE IN FOR MY BLOG-TALK RADIO INTERVIEW!
I am very honored to be a featured guest on "Artists Helping Artists" blogtalk radio, with show host Leslie Saeta and June co-host Pat Fiorello. The interview is Thursday, June 21, at 9am PST and 12 noon EST. (You can also listen to it after the fact.) Click HERE and learn how to get connected! 

 Alyson Tucker, and me... quite pleased with ourselves.
How did we get to the causeway spot? We'll never tell! :)


10 comments:

Stephen Parker said...

That's fantastic, Laurel. Congratulations. I will try to tune in.

Your Marsh Dance Study turned out beautifully. Hope to see you soon.

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautifully painted! Love the dazzle and sparkle you captured Laurel:) That sky is just plain SSI gorgeous too. Love the photo of you and Alyson- great smiles. Can't wait to hear you on AHA! You will be great!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Oh, how I know that feeling, when you're going over a bridge and there's SOMETHING you've got to paint - the one handed (one eyed, actually) driving while flinging the camera wildly around, hoping to capture that 'thing'! But YOU, brave adventurer, got OFF the bridge and (I'm suspecting something not quite legal here) managed to find a route to that view. Bravo!

And this painting was so worth it!
SO excited to hear you on AHA tomorrow! Break a leg!

Denise Rose said...

I hate that too - driving and can't get to what you want to paint. Good for yall for figuring this one out! Can't want to hear your interview!

Sonya Johnson said...

I can see why you made the extra effort to find a location to paint this marsh and why it called out to you for such a long time! Beautiful painting, and I love the warm light in the sky.

Knock 'em dead with the radio interview tomorrow!

Unknown said...

your landscapes are, as always, achingly beautiful because they are so evocative of place, light and mood. where is the marsh? I couldn't detect . . .

Melanie Thompson said...

I've been following your blog for a long time and I jut HAVE to comment on this one. I just love it, you've captured the essence of a beautiful moment. Thank you for sharing!

Dottie T Leatherwood said...

I was doing the "driving with one hand & snapping pictures with my camera aimed in the general direction of the passenger window with the other hand" maneuver on Monday... craziness!! Love that you figured out a place to paint this and glad the tide didn't come in and strand you! Love the light on all the elements here! beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Yes it was definitely worth it,what an eye catching piece! Congrats on your AHA interview, I love that show and will aim to catch it live for the first time today-at 5pm here in the UK

Randall said...

Nice one Laurel! At first glance of this painting it beckons a horse or some cows plodding along through the water.

Art talk radio Awesome!!

~Randall