Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garden Sparkle

Garden Sparkle, 8 x 6, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012
Gift to workshop garden host.

I would like to report that southern hospitality is a real and wonderful thing! This is another private garden that I was more than welcomed into for my workshop at St. Simons Island. When it rained at the end of our painting time, our kind hostess invited us to gather up on her porch for our critique. She not only tolerated the wet paintings sitting all around, she also came out and joined us for the discussion! Many thanks to each of our generous garden owners!

BTW - this is not the painting I am demonstrating below. Didn't love that one. :) This one is the result of a collaboration of ideas with Karen Rose. Our discussion had to do with creative editing and taking the liberty to reorganize elements. I ended up with so many good sketches, I just had to paint it! Thanks Karen! 

Another demo underway. 

Critique on the porch.
Thanks to Pat McCormick for photos!

10 comments:

Maria Bennett Hock said...

I always love seeing pictures of workshops! It looks like such fun. The fountain is lovely. I love the warmth in the foreground and cool tones in the back. It really comes alive.

davkfmn said...

Thank You for sharing
reminds us of St James Court
in Louisville , Ky our home town
we left years ago.

Dave & Elizabeth K

Karen F. Rose said...

Laurel love how you edited the scene! The mark of a truly great instructor is teaching even after the workshop is over!
And thanks for the shout out, you are so sweet.

Kathy Cousart said...

Just love seeing the workshop photos of you in action:) You are a natural leader and wonderful teacher in everything you do. What a lucky group and another beautiful spot to paint at SSI. Love Garden Sparkle and the fun story along with that. It is charming and love the composition!

Linda Nickles said...

Laurel, you are a master of mixing beautiful, soft greens. But what is most striking about your work is the gorgeous greys that allow some things to recede, while allowing the focal point to take center stage. You are also a master at teaching! I learned so much from you. Thank you again.

Claudia Hammer a Painting a day said...

I know exactly where you set up and what you edited and it is fantastic! I can see how editing can make it better sometimes, I learned it from you! Very nice painting and editing.

Amy Hillenbrand said...

I can feel the southerness ooze through your painting, I like your subject matter. Seeing the picture of you teaching makes me miss being in one of your classes.

Barbara Pask said...

A treat for the eyes. Love the flowers in the foreground and the fountain and then my eye goes into the painting to view the house in the back, very nice.

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful painting. It looks like fun.

XOXOXOXOXOXOBarbara

Denise Rose said...

Just beautiful Laurel and I love seeing all the students!