Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Black Pond Forest - Adirondack Trip

Black Pond Forest, L. Daniel, 12 x 12


Another misty, rainy day led me into the forest to paint in the dripping quiet. I set up my umbrella early on because the trees were shrugging off water droplets from an earlier storm. Well, it turned out to be fortuitous because an hour or so into the painting, the sky started raining with gusto. The umbrella worked like a charm. I stood my ground and was still painting long after the shower stopped (so empowering, I felt like I had won a battle!)  


By the way, I love those trees they have out there in upstate New York! :)

10 comments:

Reyes R Vicent said...

Mi enhorabuena por esos paisajes llenos de belleza y con una factura tan suelta y espontánea. Tambien tiene su mérito pintar bajo la lluvia y aguantar el chaparrón.

Dar Presto said...

I appreciate your fortitude! This piece is wonderful. The blog image simulates proper viewing distance, and it is fantastic; clicking to enlarge allows me to see the miracle of the brushwork.

Now, why do I suddenly want chocolate cake?

B Lancton said...

You have captured the mood of the rainy wooded area so beautifully. I can smell the wet trees and leaves and feel the air when I look at this piece. Laurel, this is really a lovely painting. I love it when the artist wakes up my other senses, and doesn't make the eyes alone carry the load.

Candy Barr said...

It's a terrific painting. I've done the same with 2 umbrellas - one over easel with canvas and one over me in woods viewing the vernal pools. You can hear the sound in this one.

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

What an experience. But you certainly captured the rainy forestry mood. Feel like I'm trespassing on a beautiful, serene scene. Love the lime green in the foreground contrasted against the muted tones!! Love it.

Thea said...

DRIPPING QUIET... this painting and those words have taken my imagination right into that beautiful forest.

David Westerfield said...

Another really nice one Laurel.

Debbie Shirley said...

Love the painting. Defintely sets a mood, wonderful light. I'm impressed with your fortitude! But you got a great result.

Tracey Mardon said...

This reminds me of so many rainy day hikes on the coast (the other one)I really love this palette!

Karen Werner said...

A gorgeous painting. The leaning tree makes it...along with the sense of light, color, design, etc...Everything about it is wonderful! I LOOOOve it!