Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Western Skies (enlarged)


Western Skies, 18 x 18

This is the first larger piece of the big skies out west. I made a few small changes from the smaller study, but the most significant change is the addition of the fence opening. It seemed an important element for drawing the viewer "in" and when I played around with it, I liked it better.

I also want to let you know that Daily Paintworks has a new member! Welcome to Susan Abbott of Vermont, an outstanding artist who works in several different media and genres. I think you will love her work which you can see on her blog. And if you haven't visited the Daily Paintworks site lately, stop by and see what all twelve of us are doing!

11 comments:

Hania said...

Beautiful! I like the mix of cool and warm colours in this painting.

Jan Yates, SCA said...

Yes, the pathway nicely draws the eye in..I also like how it subtly emulates the shape of the cloud..beautiful warm pallet

Randall said...

Wow nice billowy clouds. Not sure the name of them, cumulous clouds maybe. I like the light in the field looks like a nice bike path or running path, looks tempting.

~Kirby

Stephen Parker said...

Wow, this is amazing.The subtle value shift indicating the trail over the red ground is beautiful.

The sense of the vast expanse of the landscape is wonderfully delivered, also.

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Lovely! The painting is really inviting now, I really want to jump into my laptop and take a walk through the field. I prefer the warmer colours as well. Great work!

SamArtDog said...

Yes, I like the warmer colors. too. And extending the line of trees on the rise adds depth.

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've noticed a reference to Daily Paintworks. What an awesome concept in so many ways. Maybe someday ....

Heather Karp said...

I love your style!!!

Gary Keimig said...

Nice blog. Great paintings.
God bless and keep up the great work.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Laurel, this painting is stunning. I am so glad you painted it this size, I'll bet it's breathtaking in person. And I like the fence opening too, a subtle way of inviting in the viewer.
Joan

Lisa Daria said...

beautiful -