Spring Wildflowers, 6 x 8, Oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2020
It's spring in central Texas, and the wildflowers abound! Sadly, we are all staying inside and are not getting to see much of the glorious display. Today, I am showing a small painting that started out in the field, and got changed (A LOT) in the studio several years later.
Meanwhile, I hope you are all managing in this crisis. It's hard. I'm trying to stay focused with my studio work, but...finding a new rhythm is challenging! Wishing you great clarity and productivity in these days...
Problem 1 - Small shrub overpowers the wildflowers.
Fix 1 - Removed Shrub.
Fix 2 - Made flowers more dominant (and changed them).
Problem 2 - Muted sky feels dull.
Fix 1 - Dragged a pop of color into sky to liven it up.
When I painted the original, it seemed important to include the shrub to fill out the scene. Later, I could see that it dominated, but wasn't very interesting. Then I removed it, well... turns out, the flowers were not quite "enough" to carry the scene either (I guess that was why I included the shrub in the first place.) I realized that I needed the focal element to become more important and to pop above the horizon line. That is when the flowers just evolved into a whole new variety!
Sometimes the fix needs a fix! ;)
Click Here to see Fix it Friday #2