Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Chapel Solitude

Chapel Solitude, 12 x 16, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2017

Painting at this little chapel on a quiet Sunday afternoon offered sweet solitude, yes... but also, the simple joy of putting brush to canvas. Every half hour, Carillon Bells rang out beloved church hymns, and a light salt breeze was in the air. Delicious sights, sounds and smells were all around! 

I did remember to take some process shots to use in my upcoming workshop which starts Friday (I always like to have fresh material for my handouts!) The images below show how I built the painting.


 Block in large shapes and values (ultramarine and burnt sienna)


 Mass-in Upright Planes (work dark to light)

Mass in Ground Plane and Sky Plane (cover canvas with simple shapes0

Break up Masses with subtle value and temperature shifts...
Add Highlights at the very end!

1 comment:

Sharon L. Graves said...

This is so serene. I love process shots and I'm so glad when you include them. It is so interesting how long you work on a painting and the highlights in the last few minutes brings it all to life. Love this.