Monday, July 20, 2009

Commission Studies



Mountain Meadow Study 1, 6 x 8


Mountain Meadow Study 2, 6 x 8

These two small studies were the first step in my recent commission process. I used them to show how placement of the horizon line would impact the overall "feeling" of the scene and then, of course, to choose. With the horizon line placed low, the painting is all about the big sky and vastness of the land; placed high, the painting is all about the closeness of the field grasses. It's a very slight shift that results in a significantly different perspective. (BTW, there is no right answer here, it's just personal preference. My client and I both preferred the top one. See Saturday's post for final commission painting.)

See more Small Works

7 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laurel,

Both are lovely, but there's something about a big, blue sky. I think they are equally lovely.

XOXOXOXBarbara

Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Laurel,

I love how you do these studies... So interesting to see your process... You're right though... there is no "right" answer... it's just a gut feeling which you decide to use for one painting or another.

By the way... thanks so much for the nice award!! I'll be posting about it in an upcoming post.

Be well.

Karen Wilkerson said...

I really like them both. As usual, your brushwork and colors are right on. Karen Wilkerson

Catherine Jeffrey said...

I am left breathless by study No.2. I love the sense of distance across the "lonely" field, as if one is going towards a destination. I also admire the adept use of color...the deep rust/orange in the foreground, the subtle touches of pink and blue in the grass, the violet in the distance, and the oh so slight suggestion of moving grass.

Dean H. said...

A beautiful quality of brush work, Laurel! Love the color choices and great depth.

Virginia Floyd said...

I saw that you will be teaching two classes at Laguna Gloria in the fall. Do you ever teach evening classes? I took Carol Marine's workshop in San Antonio, and she highly recommended I take your class. Unfortunately, I'm still working. I was hoping for an evening class.

Virginia Floyd

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement!

Ginny - lucky you for getting time with Carol!!! And thanks for asking about my classes. I am sorry to say that I do not teach at night. I do teach weekend workshops at AMOA some semesters, but don't have anything planned for this fall because of my big gallery show in October. My advice it to keep painting with or without a class - that is the key to growth!