Thursday, August 20, 2020

Lake Swan - Fix It Friday #25!

Lake Swan, 8 x 10, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2020
SOLD

Can you believe I have been at this for 25 straight weeks? I can't! This series has been a great way to stay in touch while I've been working on larger paintings for my upcoming show in the fall. It has also provided a weekly marker to get me through the Ground Hog Days of quarantining! Fridays = Fix it. TGIF! 

BUT, as fun as it has been, I will be taking a little hiatus from the weekly post...

It's time to change it up. Summer is almost over and my show opens October 24th at the Davis Gallery here in Austin. The next two months will be busy with finishing works for the show, getting them framed, and marketing them! (You will soon start hearing from me about that!) I also have visits with my kids and grandkids planned. So... with great appreciation to all who have followed along with me and sent your encouragements... a heart-felt THANK YOU!!!

Here is Lake Swan, on Fix it Friday #25!!!
 
BEFORE

AFTER

CHANGES

Problem - The lighting in the scene was inconsistent with the lighting on the swan. (Everything in the scene needed more contrast and brightness to be agreement with the swan about the light.)
Fix - Added streak of blue to sky (it transformed yellow haze into a brilliant day).
Fix - Made water more reflective of the blue sky.
Fix - Popped the light on the loose reeds. Sparkle.
Fix - Added highlights on the distant shore. (That is Westlake Beach in the distance, local friends! You know who you are.) ;)

Problem - The water lacked structure so the surface didn't look flat.
Fix - Defined all reflections.
Fix - Reordered the water patterns to recede, making them larger in front, smaller and condensed in distance.

OBSERVATIONS

Throughout a painting session, it's always good to keep remembering where the light is coming from. It's also helpful to make sure the entire painting agrees about where, and how, that light is shining! :) 

I love the swans on Lake Austin. They have babies every year and swim around as a family. Although they never sit still enough or close enough, I constantly try to get pictures. And did you know this? Swans mate for life. LOVE that. 

7 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a wonderful difference your changes made. I will miss your fix it Fridays, but understand the hiatus! Best of luck with your show this fall.

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Penny!!! Especially for sticking with me all along the way! I appreciate that so very much!!! On to final prep for my show!!! Please a tay tuned!! :)

Sharon Graves said...

Such a beautiful painting. Very serene! Love the fixes and you are always so clear as to how and why. Thanks

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you So much, Sharon!!! I’be loved getting your thoughts and comments throughout this series!!

Sara said...

I am loving the Fix It Fridays! I have a huge stack of "its almost there not quite paintings" and your changes make sense and do not seem too difficult-- as in the changes are not repainting the painting but subtle shifts! Guess I need to revisit and review my stack of paintings. Wow, I love your fixes and notes, thank you!

ีuplay365 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbara Muir said...

Love this,

We visit a park with a pair of swans, and I have lots of photos,
but have never tried painting them. They are perfection, and you've done it!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara