Thursday, July 2, 2020

Hydrangea in Blue - Fix It Friday #18

Hydrangea in Blue, 9 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2020

This painting needed to be fixed, literally, as in repaired. I was taking it home to finish later, and it rubbed against another wet painting in my carrier. I didn't see the transferred paint until all had dried. It was tempting to just toss the whole thing, but I hate not finishing something! ;)

BEFORE


AFTER

CHANGES:
Problem - Painting had unwanted paint transferred from another painting.
Fix - Tackled problem area by building it back up with my dark neutral (ultramarine and burnt siena), as if starting from scratch in that area. But before I began, I oiled out ( with refined linseed oil) and rigorously buffed the entire surface. I often do this when painting back in. It helps the new paint flow on better.

Problem - It needed a background (I wiped out first attempt on location).
Fix - Reworked background colors. I wanted something that would capture the sense of dappled light, and would not fight with the blue of the hydrangea. After a number of attempts, I think I finally got there.

OBSERVATIONS:
Make sure to pack your wet panel carrier properly!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again... ;)

WISHING YOU A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!

4 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

So glad you didn't toss it and were able to fix it. It is a lovely painting. Happy 4th weekend!

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you so much, Penny!!!! :)

Sharon Graves said...

I love hydrangeas and you totally nailed this here. Love the background and the hint of ore hydrangeas back there somewhere. .

Laurel Daniel said...

Thank you, Sharon! I had a little bit of a battle with that background, so I'm glad that you approve of where it ended up!