Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Spring Return (and a blogger returns!)

Spring Return, 15 x 30, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2019
SOLD at the Davis Gallery

Dear friends... I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus and I'm not really sure why. I got interrupted, and suddenly I just found myself out of the habit. But I love blogging, so I am back. It completes the cycle of creation for me... Thanks for waiting! :)

Jumping right in... I am thrilled to have 6 paintings on display in the Davis Gallery summer group show here in Austin, TX...
Circadian Buzz 
Davis Gallery Group Show
Through August 31st

For this exhibit, we were asked to think about rhythm and repetition. To my way of thinking, this two-pronged theme applies both to subject matter (rhythm as a design element) and daily practices (repetition as personal discipline.) The scene in "Spring Return" has an obvious repeating pattern of waddling geese bodies. That swaying rhythm propels them through the scene, and it takes us right along. (Where ARE they going?)

Below is a preliminary study I did from another angle (part of my daily practice and personal discipline)...


Waddlers, 8 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2019
Available at the Davis Gallery

2 comments:

Marilyn Flanegan said...

Welcome back Laurel! I can't help but smile when i look at your geese and i love that i get to see them up close later this week! love, Marilyn

Laurel Daniel said...

THANK YOU, Marilyn!!!! I love hearing that! XO