Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Beach Demo - Georgia Workshop

Beach Demo, 6 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2104
SOLD

I am finally catching my breath after last weekend's non-stop activity! In conjunction with my show on St. Simons Island, I taught a 3-day plein air workshop to a wonderful group of students. We had a great time painting from marsh side to seaside (notice a theme here?) and below is my demo from our day at the beach. 

Many thanks to the Anderson Gallery for hosting the workshop, and to my hard-working students who painted up a storm on the Georgia coast! So much fun!!

the scene...

getting started with a line sketch for placement...

line and mass block in to establish values...

massing in the darks...

massing in the lights...

final piece with highlights and lowlights…
including a couple of beach lovers for scale! :)

1 comment:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Laurel,

I love this. It's so fascinating to see how you proceed. I've been going through the photos again and again in awe. How fun that must have been for your students. Beautiful.

XOXOXOXO Barbara