Arbor Fence - Plein Air Demo, 6 x 8, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2013
Last week I taught a 3-day workshop to 12 wonderful students in St. Simons Island, GA. I began this demo on the first day, but a storm threatened our session and I never finished it. (As it turned out, the rain never came.) I promised to complete the demo after the workshop, but ended up starting over completely in order to take process photos for my students. Here are the notes... for my students and for you. :)
1) Block-in and underdrawing (ultramarine and burnt sienna.)
2) Mass in dark uprights - in the shadow family.
3) Mass in dark uprights - in the light family.
4) Mass in sky plane and ground plane.
(The pink ground came from the sand color beneath the grass.)
5) Work grass color into ground plane. Adjust values as needed.
Remember that values come together as they recede into the distance.
(Less contrast, less chroma in color, less detail, less texture.)
6) Add final details and highlights. Push color relationships.
(I painted the fence wet into wet, using a liner brush.)