Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rocky Creek Light

Rocky Creek Light, 9 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012

Back down at one of our local creeks, I found this partially submerged rock with a beam of light on it. I was drawn to the contrast between the rock above water and the rock below water. It was a fabulous - and tricky - little study. I think I'd like to do a few more of this kind of subject. Hmmm... maybe when I get back from Wisconsin (leaving tomorrow!)

In other news, this was an extra fun day because I got to paint with my good friend Julie Davis and a blog friend David Boyd from Georgia. He was driving through town on a cross country painting trip. It was such a pleasure to meet him in person - and painting together was an added bonus!

Me, David, and Julie

5 comments:

maalari ja piirtäjä said...

Terveisiä Suomesta, olet maalannut fantastisen hienoja teoksia.
Hyvää kesää

Shane Davis said...

I guess those rocks weren't too tricky for you, the underwater effects you achieved are excellent.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I can NOT believe I am posting before Kathy C.! I had to get up reaaaaally early in the morning to do so :) Well, I woke up to a pink world, sky and water, at 5 a.m., so...

I LOVE the partially submerged rock - so hard to do and you nailed it, Laurel! Lucky you to paint with Julie and have David stop by - how fun is that?

Great little piece, and I know you'll come up with more of this half-sunlit/half submerged subject!

julie davis said...

It turned out to be a beautiful little study, Laurel. It was such a treat to get out and paint with you and David in the midst of this busy summer! Best of luck this week at Door County!

David Boyd, Jr and David Boyd, Sr. said...

i loved your city! i really appreciate the hospitality and the time you guys took to "take me out!" austin seems like soooo long ago and please let me know if i can ever return the favor... btw, sweet painting! while there i also met gary martin of martin signs and todd sanders of roadhouse relics. where else could i go to get my fill of plain air painting and vintage neon sign work! only in austin...