Thursday, August 18, 2011

Woodland Window


Woodland Window, L. Daniel, 12 x 9

Up near the Puget Sound where I was visiting last week, I was constantly aware of being surrounded by water. The San Juan Islands glisten in the distance and the forested areas are deeply luscious. The foliage seems to understand that summer is very short, because it leafs out (rich and green) like there's no tomorrow. Coming from dry and thirsty Texas, it was quite refreshing.

Side note: While there, I also kept thinking about the Canadian painter (British Columbia), Emily Carr, who painted in the Pacific Northwest in the early 1900's. She was a bold and adventurous plein air painter who completely broke with tradition and defied the mores of her time (woman painter, traveled into the wild to paint alone, mixed with native peoples, painted in a crazy newfangled style, and painted totem poles no less!) Susan Vreeland wrote a great book about her that I highly recommend - a fictional piece called "The Forest Lover". It captures a sense of the times and the strength of her great spirit. Being in her territory gave me new insight into what her work was all about.

7 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

Beautiful tranquil painting. Love the shadows and the path leading right to the water.

Have you gotten any relief from your drought there in TX?

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Looks like Washington Park in Anacortes to me... but there are a lot of places around the Pacific Northwest that have this look. You've done a beautiful job of capturing the feel of our beautiful northwest. Really lovely.

Nancy Colella said...

Great painting and thanks for the lead on that book. Sounds like something I would love to read.
B&N here I come!

Laurel Daniel said...

Thanks all - and Nancy's comment is AMAZING - she guessed EXACTLY where I was painting. I was in Washington Park in Anacortes. WOW!!!! That makes me smile! :)

Kevin Wallace said...

I'm reading this in a Seattle hotel on my way back from a week in the San Juans! Love the paintings. Tried some myself but they weren't anything as good as these. The madrona trees are gorgeous.

Kathy Cousart said...

This is beautiful- very lush and those greens are gorgeous. I am such a fan of your trees no matter what state you are in- Keep painting them:)

Susan said...

Such a nice feel. Love your work.